WSSO Diversity & Inclusion
Committee, Resources, Events, Personal Development
D&I Committee formed Fall of 2020 with the following basic charges
1. Discuss and informally assess the current state of inclusivity of the WSSO.
2. Report the results of these ongoing reviews to the WSSO Board.
3. Propose effective opportunities for conversations and/or activities centered on anti-racism (with the arts as a focal point). Some opportunities could be intended for WSSO members only, and some with members of other organizations.
4. Once proposals have been approved by the WSSO Board, this committee will assist in communication, implementation, & facilitation of anti-racism personal development opportunities as directed by the WSSO Board.
5. To serve as a supportive body and sounding board for WSSO musicians & staff for individual concerns involving inclusion in our organization.
special guests Councilwoman Safronia Perry & Bishop Nathan Baxter Summer Pops Concerts
RECENT D&I SPONSORED INITIATIVES
Welcome events for new members and post-concert follow-ups with collaborators
Featured African American leaders in community as orators for summer pops concerts
Partnership with Camp Curtin Academy: Production Team of middle school students for family concerts
Collaboration with Guest Conductor Dr. Eric Hinton
Meet & greet with Rick Benjamin, enrichment session surrounding Scott Joplin's "Treemonisha"
Meet & greet with composers Nancy Ives & Jerod Impichchaachaaha' Tate to discuss authenticity of voice.
Follow up on our performance of St. George's Violin Concerto (played by Margeaux, conducted by Dr. Hinton)! This movie now available on Hulu and in theaters!